Saturday 28 April 2018

Dawn of War II

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war.

Now here's a fantastic squad based tactics game I replayed (despite saying I wouldn't), set in the Warhammer 40K universe and one that is very user-friendly as you lead the Space Marines into battle against a multitude of alien scum.

It is simplified to controlling the squad commanders, leveling and gearing them up, and making use of cover and special abilities. The extra nameless squad mates do help out but are just "tied" to their captain, vastly removing micro management.

Look out behind you!

There are also no structures to build, and though there are optional sites you can capture per mission that will give you boons moving forward in the campaign. The graphics, voice acting, music and story are all great too. Indeed the only fault I can give this is its penchant to reuse maps.

This one is an absolute blast to play, and for me superior to all the Command and Conquer titles I've previously reviewed. Highly recommended, even for non RTS folk. I give this 4.5 melta bombs out of 5.

2 comments:

  1. Yep - fantastic game. Trying to think of another similar title and can’t with the gearing up and squad based play style. Almost old school rpg like...but with explosions lol! Only dawn of war game that I’ve ever really enjoyed heh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should really look for more of the expansions, or you know... Dawn of War III. :P

      Delete