Monday 22 January 2018

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

FPS the movie?

A very theatrical shooter that lets players be regular soldiers with no superpowers (well, apart from semi-regeneration). I very much like the replayable tutorial mission in this as it is very important in upping the players skill level (for any FPS game) before they hit the field. Compared to the other FPS games I've been reviewing lately, Call of Duty 4 is not a long game - but it is a difficult one.

The graphics, game play, ballistics, AI and voice acting are all top notch. It's almost always on the rails though with only one way forward - just like a theme park ride. While I don't quite like the multiple perspectives the story entails, it is serviceable. The "flash back" mission to Pripyat is perhaps one of the best levels I've ever played - not just because it scratches that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. itch.

Look out for those Monolith soldiers...

The biggest drawback is it does suffer a bit from clown car baddies, where sometimes there seems to be no end to them coming out from literally nowhere, and can be intensely frustrating. Still one of the best FPS games I've played and one I definitely recommend, I give it 4 Calls of Duty out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment